Recently my hubby and I had a Carne Asada (mexican bbq). I thought I'd switch it up this time and make some homemade corn tortillas. The hubby was quite excited since it was also his first time, so it was a ton of fun making them together. Most of all it is unbelievably easy!
- 2 c. of Maseca Flour (corn flour)
- 1 1/4 c. of Water
- 1/4 tsp. of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Chili Powder (just for a little kick, and totally optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Stir with a spoon. Dough should have a consistency where it doesn't stick to your hands, if it does just add a tad bit more flour.
3. Roll into balls (sorry I didn't have any pictures or the tortilla balls, you can kind of see it in the background of picture #4) then grab a tortilla press (Be sure to put saran wrap or wax paper in between the 2 metal plates on the press.)
4. Then press!
5. Presto! Cook tortillas on a pan or cast iron skillet on medium heat. Cook for about a minute then flip for 30-40 more seconds.
Super duper easy and anyone can do it! This would be a fun little activity to do with your friends, hubby, or kids!